Saturday, July 14, 2012

Mackenzie-Childs Barn Sale - AMAZING!!!

Good Morning All!

In the midst of redo-ing my son's room, I had to make our annual trek to the Mackenzie-Childs Barn Sale - some things are THAT important! Above is the sign to happiness... :-)
And this is the line to happiness...! The sale starts at 8 am and we got there about 11:30. This line is considerably shorter than when they opened at 8 - people line up for a mile....I'm not kiddin'!

If you've never heard of Mackenzie-Childs before, it is a company that produces fabulous glazed pottery, enamelware, fabrics, lighting, furniture, accessories, etc. all with their very distinctive style. Some love it and some just don't get what the fuss is all about. I love it! When I'm at the property I am get so creatively inspired! This is not a typical "store." It is an old farm with a Victorian farmhouse, several outbuildings and a ton of land with barns that are used to create the pottery on site. It's a cool place to visit.
The top picture is one of the outbuildings and the picture to the right is just the view from where I was waiting in line. Beyond the treeline is a lake and it's simply breathtaking! 

Ok - enough of that because the Barn Sale means cool stuff for less! Here's a tip if you ever plan to attend - make a "hit list" of items you really want and find them first. There is so much available it is easy to be overwhelmed! 

On my hit list were two very special items; a paper towel holder and an enamelware compote. My mother-in-law has the ceramic one and it cost a lot...I can't say because my father-in-law might read this. Anyway, he's never allowed to touch it or move it (it sits on her kitchen table which is granite) because husbands seem to have a "break that" gene in them. Well, at least her's & mine do...! So, to be able to ENJOY my compote without being terrorized by its fragility, I opted for the enamelware one!

So when we first hit the barn, what do I see????
My Compote!!!! Come to Momma!!! One down, now where is that paper towel holder?

YES!!! There it is, my fabulous new paper towel holder!!! Have you ever known anyone to be this stupid-gitty over a silly kitchen accessory??!! Here's why though, I bought this cute little one from Hobby Lobby, it was all black with a small rooster finial. Looked cool for about a month. Every time I had to change the paper towel roll, I had to unscrew that finial 1,022 times, UGH! And when my husband did it, you remember, the one with the "break that" gene? Yea, he unscrewed it and dropped the rooster on the counter and chipped his little beak right off. Not to mention that it just was a wobbly mess because it was junk! So, it has been replaced with this and I'm over the moon!!! No more unscrewing anything, the roll just fits right over the blingy finial!!

More pictures from the sale tomorrow. Right now I have so much to do to get ready for Jake's homecoming - the room still isn't ready, my hubby's coming home from his fishing trip and we're having a big family party at my Mom's house! It seems like a lot for one day - Carpe Diem!!!

Finding the Fabulous - In Life!!!
Tracy

2 comments: