Monday, July 23, 2012

Summertime & the Livin' is Easy....(?)

Hola! The last two weeks have absolutely flown by! I started to tell you about my new guest room redo, but my camera was not cooperating with my computer! Technology....! So, I have finally gotten my pictures and thought you might like to see this "disaster to darn good" in just one day - and I took every minute of those 24 hours!!!





While I'd like to blame all of this on my kid, who's not here to defend himself, lol, the truth is that this "junk" room became a collection of all Josh's stuff that he didn't take and overflow "stuff" from my business. And I just couldn't take it anymore!!!


I don't know if I shared this, but now is as good a time as any, I'm supposed to be recovering from surgery....  They want me to rest, sure! I did really well resting until the Percocet wore off!! If they really wanted me to rest, they would have sent me home with an IV drip of that stuff! Needless to say, I was home, the room was there....it had to be done!


 Wanted to make sure you saw the mattress, too! A loaner from my neighbor when my US Air Force Academy, USAFA, cadet-kid, brought his friend home...last summer! Time to go back to it's home!!

After I cleared the room, I had to clean the filth....BOYS! You may hear me say this more than once! So I got my handy little Oreck hand vacuum and cleaned all the baseboards. While I had it right there, I also vacuumed both wood blinds. I then attached the long nozzle to get any cobwebs in the corners. 


Next, I took the blinds down, removed all the plate covers and started to fill the holes. It looks like the walls have a very bad case of the chicken pox!!! All kidding aside, I know how important the prep work is! Unfortunately, many people skip the prep and wind up with a bad result. Paint covers a lot, but it won't cover un-preped surfaces!!!


After the spackle dried, I sanded the spots first, but then the whole wall. After I sanded, I used my little Oreck and the floor attachment, the one with the brush, to vacuum the walls and then I wiped them down. OK - maybe that's a little much but I just wanted it to be awesome!


I decided to paint the ceiling also. A lot of people skip it, but I just know from my line of work that fresh walls and an old ceiling don't create the look I'm going for. So, with a plastic bag from the grocery store and a hair clip - I attach my plastic bandana and get to work. 


Time to paint some color on these walls!!! FYI, I AM a paint snob!! I only use C2 Paint because it is FABULOUS!!! They have great depth of color because of the European pigments they use, they have low voc's and are earth friendly!!! You can check out more info about them at www.c2paint.com/  

This is it for now - the blinds are back up, bed is in and there's light and a nightstand. It was completely exhausting but I knew my USAFA cadet-kid would enjoy it! Trust me, he's been home for a week and is thoroughly loving that bed!! :-)


Although the room isn't totally done, I've got lots of tricks up my sleeve for this room, I promised you pictures and as it's said, "Better late than never!" 


I hope you are inspired to take a junky space and turn it into something livable and awesome!!!


Find the Fabulous!!
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment